Victorian Museum Awards
2016 Awards Ceremony
The 2016 Victorian Museum Awards ceremony was held on Thursday 14 July in the Village Roadshow Theatrette at State Library Victoria. Hosted by the multi-talented performer, writer, producer, and director, Diana Nguyen, the Ceremony also featured special guests Martin Foley MP, Minister for Creative Industries, Kate Torney, CEO of State Library Victoria, Michael O'Leary, Director, Agencies and Infrastructure, Creative Victoria, and Sylvia Admans, CEO of R E Ross Trust.
The Victorian Museum Awards celebrate the wonderful achievements of the museum and gallery sector. This year the evening kicked off with drinks and canapés in SLV's Courtyard. The night was also a celebration of our Museum Accreditation Program (MAP) reaching 100 participating organisations, and to mark this extraordinary milestone we launched both a short film about the program and a new mobile-friendly geolocation map of museums in the program.
Objectives of the Victorian Museum Awards
The Victorian Museum Awards recognise outstanding achievements and service in the museum, gallery, and collecting sector. This special event celebrates organisations and individuals whose passion and work build a strong Victorian museum and gallery industry.
- Raise awareness of museums as effective vehicles for engagement with ideas and communities.
- Reward and encourage best practice by individuals and organisations.
- Celebrate the value of museums to local and wider community groups
2016 Awards Categories
Nominations for the 2016 Victorian Museum Awards are now closed.
- The Museums Australia (Victoria) Award for Excellence (Volunteer)
- The Museums Australia (Victoria) Award for Excellence (Paid Staff)
Individual category winners receive the following prizes valued at over $400:
- One-year Membership of Museums Australia including subscription to Victoria’s INSITE Magazine
- One copy of 'Exhibition Design for Galleries & Museums: An Insider's View'
- Two complimentary tickets to an MA (Vic) seminar or event
- Gift voucher of $75
- The Archival Survival Award for Volunteer-Run Museums (up to 1 EFT paid staff) – PRIZE: Archival Survival supplies valued at $1,000
- The Archival Survival Award for Small Museums (2-7 Paid Staff) – PRIZE: Archival Survival supplies valued at $1,000
- The Museums Australia (Victoria) Award for Medium Museums (8-50 Paid Staff)
- The Museums Australia (Victoria) Award for Large Museums (51+ Paid Staff)
Thank You to Our 2016 Victorian Museum Awards Sponsors and Supporters
Photo: Diana Nguyen welcomes guests at the 2016 Awards Ceremony, State Library Victoria. By Simon Fox, Deakin University.