Victorian Museum Awards
2016 Awards Ceremony
This year the Awards Ceremony will be held on 14 July in the Village Roadshow Theatrette at State Library Victoria.
One of our special guests for the evening will be Martin Foley MP, Minister for Creative Industries, and our MC will be performer, writer, producer, and director, Diana Nguyen. Diana has performed in Melbourne, nationally, and overseas for 11 years. Her first stand-up show, 'NAKED', was presented at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival and will be touring in 2017. She co-created 'Phi and Me', a highly successful show about a second generation Vietnamese family. Her 2008 short story, '5 Ways to Disappoint Your Vietnamese Mother', was published in Alice Pung's book, 'Growing Up Asian in Australia'.
This year we'll also be celebrating 100 organisations in the Museum Accreditation Program (MAP) and we have a very special surprise in store for MAP Museums and Galleries.
Come and join us for a night of celebration and networking. Drinks and canapés will be served in the Courtyard.
Special Digital GLAM Symposium Lecture
In collaboration with Melbourne University and State Library Victoria, we are pleased to be co-hosting a special address as part of the Digital GLAM symposium immediately prior to the Awards. Antony Robbins, Director of Communications, Museum of London, will be giving a lecture titled "Re-Inventing the Museum" in the Village Roadshow theatrette. The talk will start at 5pm sharp, so please arrive at 4.45pm to ensure a seat. This is a free event but bookings are required.
Objectives of the Victorian Museum Awards
The Victorian Museum Awards recognise outstanding achievements and service in the museum, gallery, and collecting sector. This special event celebrates organisations and individuals whose passion and work build a strong Victorian museum and gallery industry.
- Raise awareness of museums as effective vehicles for engagement with ideas and communities.
- Reward and encourage best practice by individuals and organisations.
- Celebrate the value of museums to local and wider community groups
2016 Awards Categories
Nominations for the 2016 Victorian Museum Awards are now closed. Thank you to all those who nominated. We've received some fantastic entries and our panel of judges will be meeting very shortly to select the winners. Good luck to all!
- The Museums Australia (Victoria) Award for Excellence (Volunteer)
- The Museums Australia (Victoria) Award for Excellence (Paid Staff)
Individual category winners receive the following prizes valued at over $400:
- One-year Membership of Museums Australia including subscription to Victoria’s INSITE Magazine
- One copy of 'Exhibition Design for Galleries & Museums: An Insider's View'
- Two complimentary tickets to an MA (Vic) seminar or event
- Gift voucher of $75
- The Archival Survival Award for Volunteer-Run Museums (up to 1 EFT paid staff) – PRIZE: Archival Survival supplies valued at $1,000
- The Archival Survival Award for Small Museums (2-7 Paid Staff) – PRIZE: Archival Survival supplies valued at $1,000
- The Museums Australia (Victoria) Award for Medium Museums (8-50 Paid Staff)
- The Museums Australia (Victoria) Award for Large Museums (51+ Paid Staff)
Thank You to Our 2016 Victorian Museum Awards Sponsors and Supporters
Photo: The 2015 Victorian Museum Awards at the National Gallery of Victoria.